This week I was training new volunteers to work in our prevention program with children. In each training we ask questions about trafficking cases to find out where our audience stands on knowledge and understanding of human trafficking. And to find out if they blame the victim for being trafficked.
Our questions are:
- What happened to make the victim vulnerable?
- What could have happened to prevent the victim from being trafficked?
- Do you think the victim is at fault?
Sometimes the responses are shocking. Like “Why didn’t they just escape?” As if I trafficker made it easy for someone to escape. One of the most common answers to question #2 is to raise awareness. Now I know that awareness is still necessary, but I live in the United States and many people know about human trafficking and slavery. They have seen a movie, watched a crime show or read a novel that depicted slavery.
The problem with awareness is no one seems to be connecting the dots. And I am not positive that the “Hollywood” version of trafficked victim hasn’t done more harm than good. The dots have to be connected if we want to see real change. This week our prayers are going to focus on these three questions by praying for the opposite.
- Father, help people who are in vulnerable situations to be protected. Keep them safe and away from those who would seek to exploit them. Psalm 27:5
- Provide for their basic needs. Jobs, food, and medical care. Philippians 4:19
- God please help children who are in dangerous situations to be found before they are exploited. Let intervention happen quickly. Psalm 12:7
- God bring justice to victims of human trafficking. Amos 5:24
- Expose any corruption that is stopping justice. Court systems, law enforcement and Government officials. Leviticus 19:15
- Help victims of trafficking to be seen as victims and not criminalized. Genesis 16:13
- Reveal anyone who are trapped in slavery. Ephesians 5:11
- Help victims find freedom that are trapped by threats and coercion. Luke 4:18
- Jesus, help them to find healing physically, spiritually and mentally. John 8:32 Galatians 5:1
Please remember to continue to pray for the girls still enslaved in Nigeria. #bringbackourgirls. Thank you for standing with us in prayer we know your prayers are changing the world.